August 4, 2009

Our Steampunk Wedding: A Work in Progress


So you got a preview of the Groom's outfit with my post about his frock coat. I was so relieved when I found that--I thought, "Yes! This crazy idea is going to be OK." Honestly, once we decided on the Steampunk component of our wedding, I started to panic--could we really pull it off? Would our friends want to participate? Could we create the right atmosphere? Could I ever explain to my mother what Steampunk is?

But now things are really starting to come together. I called my sister today, and by her report, I am going to have four nieces and nephews walking straight in from the set of Lemony Snicket. I have started my dress, and actually feel like I might finish it before the wedding. And we have been stock piling "set dressing" for the past few weekends. Since I probably can't afford Robbii Wessen to design the venue, we'll just have to pull it together ourselves. I am so excited by our finds and as they slowly take over our living room, I can envision each table setting in my mind. We have the best thrift shop near us, and every time we go in we find something great. Just take a look at what $40 in the Bronx will get you!
Steampunk art? I may place this in the Men's Room.
I found four glass chimneys for candles...
A Thermal-ray Vitascope Projector.
A couple more candle holders, a cool metal stand to hold toiletries in the Ladies' Room, a barometer we just had to have...


and, of course, lanterns!



I have to 'fess up--the pretty gilded birdcage I splurged from eBay ($10+s&h)



An objet on each table, with some fall foliage, and I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel!

1 comment:

mayaluna said...

what wonderful finds! I'm getting more excited each day!!