June 21, 2009

Lucky Odds





First, a very important announcement: Odds Costume Rental, after 22 years of serving the film, television and theater world, is going out of business. Considering rent in New York, and the odds of most theaters having the budget to afford rentals like these, I was amazed they were able to stay afloat so long. I suppose the film & tv budgets did the trick ( considering the number of police uniforms on the racks, I'm guessing the Law & Order franchise alone could have kept them going).

While I am very sad to see any business go under, I did take advantage of the fact that they are selling their stock to see if they had anything for our Steampunk wedding attire. Boy, am I glad I did. I found the perfect item for my groom: A lovely velvet frock coat, created by the talented folk at Euroco*, in perfect condition!

I won't guess at what was going on with the crazy alterations someone had done--I was just thankful they'd handstiched them and not shoved it through an industrial. After picking out the "darts" and giving it a good steaming, it was back to its old self. Won't my fiance cut a figure in this number?!

Go to Odds. You'll find some great stuff, they'll make some cash, and the costumes will live on.

Odds Costume Rental
231 W. 29th St.
Third Fl.
New York , NY 10001
Phone: (212) 268-6227
sale 10 am-4 pm
Cash Only

*see photos of Janet Bloor's silicone caulk techniques

4 comments:

erin said...

I just got sucked into the Temporary Insanity vortex by the velvet frock coat! Great stuff!

Erin in Tenn.

pearshaped said...

hey! im a friend of greg's and very much interested in the steampunk era. i was at the winter wicked festival in NJ and saw some amazing outfits... have you heard of it? there was also a steampunk ball that happened in westchester in april but i missed it.

agree to conspire?
people.tribe.net/veilofavoca

costumegal said...

Welcome to the vortex, Erin!

costumegal said...

Hello, Greg's friend. Thanks for telling me about the winter festival--I'll have to learn more about that. I really want to go to some of these things. I am trying to gt Greg to dress Steampunk at my wedding...I think the tricked out Steampunk keyboards and monitors may have caught his attention...