August 15, 2009

Even Curioser!


Now I am just hooked on the beautiful scientific illustrations of yore. It is amazing to me the amount of widespread interest and also the relentless pursuit of specimens that existed for a few centuries. It seems that before the invention of television and video games, people actually looked to the world around them for entertainment. Fascinating.

My sweetiepie and I had a a date night last night, and we went to the Metropolitan Museum. While we were there I noticed a Taschen edition of Albertus Seba's Cabinet of Natural Curiosities. It is not the full edition, but it is pretty heavy none the less! And it is affordable, at $29.95.

They also have Cabinet of Natural Curiosities: Complete Edition, with over 500 illustrations, for $125.00.

On the internet you can also find the Jumbo Edition, and on Taschen's site they offer a 636 page version, for $200.00.

No comments: