January 10, 2009

Winter Brunch



Today we hunkered down, prepared for the snow that was coming. I was looking forward to it, as it was the first weekend at home for some time. Taking full advantage of the prevailing mood, I slept 'til 10. Once I got up and had some coffee in me, though, I started feeling pretty hungry. I remembered that we had bought some Johnny Cake mix when we were visiting Gray's General Store in Adamsville, RI. Gray's is an old-fashioned general store, and has been in operation at this location since 1788! The man who runs it now took great pains to let us know that the corn meal for his Johnny Cake mix comes from Harry Here Farms, though, and is not the corn that is ground over at Gray's Grist Mill...there's a story there, for sure. And in homage to the Rhode Island Red, of which there is a big ol' statue in the town, I made eggs as well. Yes, even a city gal like me knows that the rooster doesn't actually lay the eggs, but I believe he does have some part in the process.

I figured making Johnny Cakes would be just like making pancakes, but I was wrong. It is like cooking a pile of grits, hoping that it turns into a cake-like object instead of just remaining a pile of grits. I made the first round a bit too thin, so they smushed up when I tried to flip them. I added in a bit more mix, and the next round was better. I also found it easier to use the flat griddle, rather than make them in a pan, because I could get the spatula under them more easily. Be prepared for it to take a while--unlike pancakes, Johnny cakes have to cook for about 5 minutes on each side!


I have some yummy cranberry-citrus relish that my mum makes. As I don't eat turkey, though, I am always trying to come up with innovative ways to use it. So I mixed a few spoonfuls of the relish into the J.C. mix. I also put in a bit of Greek yogurt, because I think yogurt goes with everything. It all turned out nicely. Just a hint of cranberry, and with the maple syrup it was sweet enough.

Someone thinks she is getting a treat!


The snow kept falling, so after breakfast we just continued being lazy. Our Christmas tree is still up, so it was like having another Christmas Day. Later in the evening we took a walk in Inwood Park. It is just so lovely there. Look how bright it is, even at night!


No flash needed!

People were out with their dogs, running around in the snow, or just strolling along and taking in the beauty of it all.

I love that kind of day! Too bad they don't come around more often.

No comments: