October 18, 2009

From this to that...


How does one design their own wedding dress? I think I still don't know! I was led in part by my desire to use the antique lace my mother contributed--the idea of having all that history to carry with me seemed so romantic. And, of course, I had the Steampunk theme to guide me. I wanted a dress that was both Victorian and modern, elegant and yet with a touch of industrialism and ingenuity. Between the lace that I already had and the steel hooks I salvaged from a jacket I'd butchered for another project, I only had to purchase the satin for the dress and the green backing for the [removable]lace bustle(I must thank the staff at Rosen and Chadick)). Oh, and $5 for the crinoline at my favorite thrift store! While I had a lot of trouble--making clothes for yourself is much harder than for someone else--with the help of some friends it all came together in the end.


I accessorized with some diamonds my mother lent me--I pinned the brooch to a black ribbon choker--and of course one of the Steampunk bracelets my friends had made for my shower. I wore a ribbon-tape head piece. The arrangement of swirled ribbon reminded me of cogs fitting together. And instead of a bouquet I carried my great-grandmother's travel parasol. The silk had torn anyway, so I removed it, and just loved the way it looked with no fabric at all!

Add my new kickin' boots and I was set!


No comments: